06 May 2013

Customer Service???!!!

Before I begin this rant, I need to say thank you to the gracious people whom do their jobs with a smile upon their face, without argument, when all they want to do is go home and put their feet up! YOU are all amazing!!!

Now onto my rant!

Where has customer service gone? Have we as people forgotten what "Excellent" customer service is? Have we just been so tired when we get to the repair shop, the grocery store, Macy's, Kohl's, Dave & Buster's, Wal-Mart, Big K, and Target, that we accept the attitude we are treated with? I for one am tired of it. 

Let me begin by explaining the situation: Over the past few months, my fiance and I have been shopping at the Wal-Mart close to our home. While it is a "Super Center" it is one of the smallest I have been in. It is also in a part of town that is not quite the best. While visiting this store, the first thing we encounter is a vehicle in the parking lot with expired tags, and a flat tire. We reported what we saw to the Customer Service desk, when we went back in a month later, the vehicle was still there in the very same place; yesterday we made a quick stop, lo and behold, the vehicle was still there. Hello???? Abandoned vehicles in a parking lot does NOTHING for your business!!!! On Saturday evening, when speaking with the front end manager about the deli being closed before the actual time they close, I mentioned the vehicle to her, and her response was it is being taken care of. We will see. 

While shopping at a "Dollar Tree" store over the weekend I was assaulted by a woman who was shoplifting, when I followed her to the front of the store and mentioned something to the cashier about her removing a marker from a four-pack of markers, she stood there with her mouth open. While I realize that most people would have just let it go because it is "just a buck" the problem is, when a store loses merchandise to shoplifting the rest of us pay. When the customer returned to the store, she walked up to me, hit me in the side of the head, and screamed, "Next time b*tch, mind your own damn business!", if my fiance had not intervened I would have been on the floor. When checking out, the store manager apologized to me about the incident, and stated, "We don't have people report shoplifters", I held my tongue but thought, "I wonder why, if I was assaulted over a dollar item, what would happen if someone walked out with $10, or $20, or $30 worth of merchandise?". 

We went to the Speedway to fill the tank, when finished it asked, "Would you like a receipt?" my fiance hit the "yes" button but nothing happened. He went inside the store, waited in line ten minutes for a receipt, and was told, "I am one person, I cannot do it all!". Well part of your job is to make sure that all the pumps have receipt paper in them. Your job is to make sure that I (or any other customer) do not have to stand in line to get a receipt. I pay at the pump so I DO NOT have to wait in line!!! 

Yesterday, while I did not want to venture out of my home, I did. My fiance and I went to the Wal-Mart a few miles away from our home. What a difference ten miles can make. Everyone at the store, from the person at the deli, to the woman in the aisle stocking shelves, to the gentlemen in electronics, all had smiles on their faces, and were happy to be helping customers. We also went to Staples where we asked a some questions about printer ink, printable note cards, and some other office items, the clerk was happy to answer my questions, and when he didn't know he asked another. You see GOOD customer service exist we as the customers MUST demand it!

Yes I know what you are thinking, "how would she know what 'good' customer service is?" because all my life (I am 50) I have worked in service related jobs, whether it was being a receptionist, a cashier, an administrative professional, a manager, or a cashier. My best foot was put forth daily because I checked my attitude and baggage at the door. I always went out of my way to smile, be polite, get answers, do my job efficiently, do whatever was asked by my supervisors. While some would say, working in a grocery store is beneath them, remember "everyone has to eat!".  Here are the rules for all customer service professionals:

Rule Number One:  The customer is always RIGHT.

Rule Number Two:  See Rule Number One.

These rules are NOT hard, but they are the most important rules for anyone in the service industry. 

So I ask you again, "Where has GOOD customer service gone?" it is out there, but to insure it we as the customers have to be willing to do our part. On every receipt, there is a survey, take the survey, be honest about what you saw, how you were treated. Without feedback, a business may think they are doing well until they close their doors because of poor customer service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment