16 November 2013

Student Newspaper v. 1st Amendement

I am happy that these high school newspaper students thought enough to address the school mascot name in the school paper, and with the school board. While their plea NOT to use the school's "REDSKINS" mascot name in print in the school newspaper, their plea fell on deaf ears as the school board declined their request.
My question is: Is by blocking this request, squashing their First Amendment Right to free speech? Understand that I am throwing this out here for discussion because truly I feel that the students rights have been trampled.
While I understand that the School Board makes the by-laws for the school district, the curriculum, and the budget, which by the way includes a school newspaper. Maybe it is time for the School Board to take a class in high school civics, where The Constitution is not only taught but discussed throroughly (or it least it was when I was in school).
If you google the Neshaminy School DIstrict, there has been a request from a Native American parent, and the Pennsylvania Human RIghts Commission (PHRC) to cease using the "Redskins" as the school mascot. In CNY alone, Livverpool High School was forced to cease using "Warriors" as well as Central Square "Redmen" as their mascot names. While I feel both can be used as "slurs" the CNY region has true ties to the Native American nations. Onondaga's, Mohawks, Oneida's, Iroquois, Cayuga's, Seneca's, & Tuscarora's. What many do not realize is that those of us raised in the CNY region embrace our beginnings as Native American settlements.
Maybe I am making a mountain out of an anthill, however I feel as if these students rights were violated. To my teacher friends, can you please help me to understand why the district would vote this way.

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articles/2013/11/14/the_advance/news/doc5255a907285cb470672258.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment